Registration is now OPEN for our Fort De Soto Virtual Halfathon & Spring 5K during the weeks surrounding March 18, 2018 to coincide with the actual running of our race. This allows athletes to run or walk anywhere in the world and still earn one of our finisher’s medals.
Net proceeds (after costs of bib, medal, shipping, administration) will be donated to several small local non-profits through our Starfish Support Foundation, including local running clubs to assist with their scholarship efforts. For the 2017 Fort De Soto race, we made donations to the following groups:
Alpha Phi Omega PG
Middleton High School Robotics Team
Largo Assembly #86, IORG
Delta Sigma Pi
In the past, the Virtual Runs have helped raise money for:
- Support Our Marines, Inc. founded by one of our loyal athletes, Dianne Villano, to support troops in the most remote locations.
- Partners For Life Foundation, created by Lorraine Yaslowitz to support families who lose loved ones to senseless acts of violence in memory of her husband Jeff, a K9 police officer in St. Petersburg, FL lost in the line of duty in 2011.
Here is how our Virtual Runs work:
Our virtual runs are staged completely on the honor system. By registering, we assume you will complete the mileage required.
1) Registration is $30 for the virtual race (either distance). International athletes are charged an extra $7.50 to cover the cost of international shipping.
2) Athletes will be sent a link to download their race bibs for home printing.
3) Athletes can complete a Half Marathon during the 16-day period from March 11 – March 25. The distance can be broken up into shorter segments – your choice.
4) We will send you the official finisher medal from your event.
5) Please share your results, experience and photos at our Facebook Event page. Your results will NOT be recorded as official results, nor will you be eligible for age group awards or rankings. It is not necessary to send us emails to report results, but you are certainly welcome to share your comments with us.
6) If we have medals left over after distribution to finishers on-site at our races, we will be able to ship virtual run participants their medal within a week or so after the event.
7) However, if we run out of medals, we will need to order new ones and it will take 5-6 weeks, as they will be manufactured overseas to our specific order.
8) Medals will be sent to virtual runners in the order of registration. This means some of you may receive medals within 2 weeks of our race, while others may receive them in 5-6 weeks.
9) Virtual athletes who complete our entire halfathon series from October thru March will also earn the opportunity to earn a series completion medal for just $10 to cover the cost of medal production and shipping. This purchase option will be available during registration for our series’ finale: the Florida Beach Halfathon & 5K Race.
Thank you for participating in our virtual run – it is very much appreciated by those non-profits we support.
“As one of your virtual marathoners (got my first few miles in yesterday morning here in WI), I want to tell you what an awesome, awesome job you are doing. The race information you provide is the best I’ve ever read – thorough, easy to understand and covering just about everything.
Thank you for putting this together. The work load must be enormous.
If we lived closer, I would definitely participate in some of your other races. I’m proud to be one of your virtual runners and so thankful for the wonderful charity work you do.
Again, thank you.”
Debbi Segina, a proud member of the Adams County Running/Walking Club
– Craig Hablewitz, Virtual Runner who completed the 2015 Florida Beach Halfathon in Nepal
Our 2017-18 Season
(3 races at Ft. De Soto)