Registration is now OPEN for our Florida Beach Virtual Halfathon during the weeks surrounding March 12, 2017 to coincide with the actual running of our race. This allows athletes to run or walk anywhere in the world and still earn one of our finisher’s medals.
Net proceeds (after costs of bib, medal, shipping, administration) will be donated to several small local non-profits through our Starfish Support Foundation, including local running clubs to assist with their scholarship efforts.
In the past, the Virtual Runs have helped raise money for:
- Support Our Marines, Inc. founded by one of our loyal athletes, Dianne Villano, to support troops in the most remote locations.
- Partners For Life Foundation, created by Lorraine Yaslowitz to support families who lose loved ones to senseless acts of violence in memory of her husband Jeff, a K9 police officer in St. Petersburg, FL lost in the line of duty in 2011.
Here is how our Virtual Runs work:
1) Athletes register for $30 for our Halfathon. International Athletes are charged an extra $5 to cover the cost of international shipping.
2) Athletes who register by 11:59 pm, Friday, February 17, 2017, will have their ultra-personalized official bib number sent out via regular mail by Saturday, March 4. Entrants who register afterFebruary 17 will not have a bib number sent via mail but will be able to download generic bibs from our website for home printing.
3) Athletes must complete a half marathon during the period from March 5 – March 19. These time periods are extended for several reasons: 1) some of our virtual athletes live in areas where weather will create obstacles too severe to run safely; 2) athletes participating in other popular fall races can “double-dip” – earning extra bling for the same run; 3) this time-frame offers achievable goals for beginners – perhaps we can provide some added motivation.
4) For the purposes of the Halfathon Virtual Run, you may complete your mileage in one run or split it up over 16 days – your choice.
5) If the time spans seem too easy, please remember our goals are to promote a healthy, active lifestyle AND to raise money for local non-profits.
6) Please share your results, experience and photos at our Facebook Event page. Your results will NOT be recorded as official results, nor will you be eligible for age group awards or rankings. It is not necessary to send us emails to report results, but you are certainly welcome to share your comments with us.
8) These virtual runs are staged completely on the honor system. By registering, we assume you will complete the mileage required. We will send you an official finisher medal from your event. These are gorgeous custom-made medals, along with custom ribbons.
9) If we have medals left over after distribution to finishers on-site at our races, we will be able to ship virtual run participants their medal within a week or so after the event.
10) However, if we run out of medals, we will need to order new ones and it will take 5-6 weeks, as they will be manufactured overseas to our specific order.
11) Medals will be sent to virtual runners in the order of registration. This means some of you may receive medals within 2 weeks of our race, while others may receive them in 5-6 weeks.
12) Virtual athletes who complete our entire halfathon series from October thru March will also earn the opportunity to earn a series completion medal for just $10 to cover the cost of medal production and shipping. This purchase option will be available during registration for our series’ finale: the Florida Beach Halfathon & 5K Race.
13) Regardless of how it all unfolds, we will send out emails right after the race advising our virtual athletes of when medals will be shipped.
Thank you for participating in our virtual run – it is very much appreciated by those non-profits we support.
– Craig Hablewitz, Virtual Runner who completed the 2015 Florida Beach Halfathon in Nepal
“As one of your virtual marathoners (got my first few miles in yesterday morning here in WI), I want to tell you what an awesome, awesome job you are doing. The race information you provide is the best I’ve ever read – thorough, easy to understand and covering just about everything.
Thank you for putting this together. The work load must be enormous.
If we lived closer, I would definitely participate in some of your other races. I’m proud to be one of your virtual runners and so thankful for the wonderful charity work you do.
Again, thank you.”
Debbi Segina, a proud member of the Adams County Running/Walking Club
Our 2016-17 Season
Florida Beach Halfathon & 5K Race
Sunday, March 12, 2017
Ft. De Soto Park
Save The Dates: 2017-2018
REGISTRATION OPENS APRIL 1, 2017
Fort De Soto 15k & 5k
October 1, 2017
Ft. De Soto Park
Florida Halloween Halfathon & 5k
October 29, 2017
Ft. De Soto Park
Florida Holiday Halfathon & Relay
December 10, 2017
Madeira Beach to Largo
Clearwater Distance Classic
January 21, 2018
Coachman Park, Clearwater
Florida Beach Halfathon & 5K
March TBD, 2018
Ft. De Soto Park